Love to Live & Live to Love

Friday, February 25, 2011

BFF

"I love you Lord; you are my strength.  The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my saviour. 
He is my shield, the strength of my salvation, and my stronghold.
I will call on the Lord, who is worthy of praise, for he saves me from my enemies."  Psalm 18:1-3

We're best friends right?
The ensuing giggles and squeals of laughter assured me that my daughter had got the answer she was hoping for.  And, with a huge smile on her face, she and her" best friend", headed off arm and arm to her room to play some more.
The kitchen was still a mess but I needed a break so I picked up my mug of coffee, and sat down.  Besides, overhearing that conversation between my not yet five year old daughter and her friend had left my stomach feeling a little queasy.
Oh how often I have been in that place.  The place of wondering.  Am I accepted?  Am I liked?  Am I good enough?  Have I done enough for you lately?  Are we still friends?
I'm biased but I'm also positive that if you knew my daughter, you'd love her.  She is cute as a button.  She's full of energy (ever read the book, The Spirited Child?  I've just about worn out my copy!)  She's amazingly strong and beautifully tender hearted.  I love spending time with her.  She's my baby girl.  Who wouldn't want to be friends with her?
How my mom's heart longs for her to always feel loved and accepted, to never have anyone reject her or break her heart.  But that is not how life works.
Because as humans, living in a fallen world, we do a pretty good job of hurting each other.  Sometimes it's deliberate.  Sometimes it's accidental.  Sometimes it's simply because our own issues prevent us from being able to really care about another person's heart.
Over the course of my life, I've met many wonderful people and I consider myself so very blessed to be able to call a few of them friends.
Through the years though I've also experienced the pain of rejection, lost trust and broken relationship. 

While I thank Jesus every day for the blessings of friendship in my life, it has been in the darker times of brokenness and pain, when He has walked with me on the path toward healing that I've come to understand how truly blessed I am to know Jesus as my saviour and friend.
Later, after the play date was over and the house was (somewhat!) tidied up, I snuggled on the couch with my daughter and told her about my best friend, Jesus.  I told her how precious He is to me.  How faithful, how trustworthy and strong.  How he loves me just as I am,  How I only had to ask Him once to be my friend and He is now forever.  I don't have to keep checking. 

Jesus is right beside me all the time, arm and arm, walking with me through all my days.

My daughter was quiet for a while, then looked up at me and whispered;  that sounds really wonderful Mommy.  With a lump in my throat and a heart full of love, I pulled her close and whispered back ; You're right sweetheart.  You are so right.  And I pray with all my heart that someday you would know for yourself just how precious and true a friendship with Jesus really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment